Thursday, December 04, 2008

Purse Tutorial

Okay, stampers, here it is...a tutorial on making the clear card box purse tote. I have used all SU supplies on this one for those of you who like to plan classes with your customers. The clear card boxes are not an item available from SU. I purchased mine from clearbags.com (item # FB17, 4 1/2 x 5 7/8 x 1) but they are also available from Paper Trey. You might try using SU's medium sized cello bags but they will work a bit differently and the dimensions of the tote may vary.

The trickiest part of this whole project is cutting the boxes in half. Use a marker to draw a line down the center of one side of your box (2 1/4"). Use a non-permanent marker so you can wipe it off later.

To get all sides of your half boxes the same, you need to first open the box from its flat position. Look around your craft room for something that will fit inside the box to give you a surface to cut onto. I used my Big Shot long platform and plate since the plate is a cutting surface. Use a hobby blade and ruler to along your marker line. Once you have the one side cut, you can lay the box flat and cut the other side on your cutter.

Use sticky strip to attach the side flaps of your half boxes.
Cut the card stock for your purse body 12" by 6". Score at 4 7/8" from each of the long sides.
Put sticky strip along the back side of your boxes, do NOT put anything on the bottom or your purse won't open, only put adhesive along the back side. TIP: when you are ready to adhere the boxes, set the boxes on the center panel, against the corners, then bring the side up to meet the box. This will ensure your purse will close properly.
Notice how the purse will lay open and the bottoms are not attached to the card stock.
Attach sticky strip to the outside of the purse to adhere the wide grosgrain ribbon handles. You will need 2 lengths of 20" of ribbon. Adhere ribbon as shown below.
Decorate the front of your purse as desired. On mine I used a piece of Parisian Summer DP cut 6"x2 3/4" and layered it with a piece of pink pirouette that measured 6"x3". I used some of the Flower Fusion Too flowers with a Filigree brad to embellish the front.
Then the fun begins!! Fill it with cards, mini cards, chocolate or anything else you can dream up! I made 4 A2 sized cards, 4 mini note cards (I realized after completing this that SU no longer carries this particular note card but the Scallop Notes or Love Notes would also work). It left enough room to add some Ghiradelli chocolates. You could just fill both sides with regular sized cards. Please share any other ideas you may have for packing the clear boxes.

Here is a close up of the cards I made. Sentiments came from the All Holidays set. Flowers were created with a scallop punch and cutting the petals at each scallop. The center is a 3/4" circle punch of chocolate chip. The leaf is a small oval punch of mellow moss, folded and crimped. The stem is just pierced free hand. I also used the Tres Chic background.

The supplies needed are just one box and a half sheet of 12x12 card stock, 40" of ribbon and what ever else you chose for decorating and embellishing.
On the last tote I used magnetic snaps for a closure but I found once the purse was filled it sat closed well enough on its own.
I hope you will give it a try! Let me know if you post one, I would love to see different takes on the idea!
I have a variation of this idea to share in another tutorial tomorrow!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!! This will be perfect for one of the teacher gifts that I have to make!! (I just loooove the generosity of those of you who are more creative than me!!)

Renee said...

I just love these! Great idea!

The MadStamper said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!
I AM SOOO GRATEFUL TO YOU FOR POSTING THIS TUTORIAL!!! YOU MADE AN AMAZING PROJECT AND I AM THRILLED THAT I CAN NOW "TRY" TO MAKE IT TOO!!!! THANK YOU, SINCERELY!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift idea. Just wondering what size card box you used

suncow1@yahoo.com