Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pendant Tutorial

Happy Saturday! I have a cold settling in but despite that, the house has been buzzing with activity. Hubby spent his day off yesterday tackling some projects around the house and I have been busy working on things to show YOU!! Fun I tell ya!

I had several questions about the tile pendant I made. This is really more of a visual than any fancy tutorial but I hope this will help.

Supplies:
Tim Holtz Clear Acrylic Fragments
Glossy Accents
Hobby knife
Pendant Bail
colored image/picture/paper

So above, you see all of my supplies assembled. The tile I am using this time is a bit smaller than the last one. I chose to use part of a stamp I recently purchased and colored it in with Copics. Copics work really well because they do not bleed when the Glossy Accents is applied. And I love the vibrant colors! You can also use pictures, designer paper and such. I suggest you test your colored images to check for bleeding.
Decide exactly where you want to adhere your tile.
Apply a small amount of Glossy Accents to the tile. You don't want to use too much as it will squeeze out the sides. I used a bit too much on this because I got distracted taking the picture, lol.
Press the tile onto your image, move it around until you see that the Glossy Accents is completely covering the paper. I find it best to hold the tile for 30 seconds or so. It should be completely dry in 5-10 minutes. Use a hobby blade to trim the image to the same size as the tile. Copic markers bleed through the paper so I adhered another piece of cardstock to the back of my pendant to give it a cleaner look.
I used my grid paper to center my pendant so I knew where to adhere the bail. Apply a bit of Glossy Accents to the bail, adhere bail to pendant. Again, it will dry in about 5 minutes.
Here is a look at the back.


All that is left is to hang it from your favorite necklace. If you want to protect the back of your pendant from wear, apply a layer of Modge Podge to it.
I purchased my bails at Michael's, in the jewelry section. I think I paid 2.99 for a 3 pack. If you are going to do a bunch I suggest buying them more in bulk to save money. Etsy has several sellers that offer bails. You will find different sizes and shapes. Check here for more.
The tiles (Tim Holtz Fragments) are available at Starlitstudio.com, Eclectic Paperie and Ellen Hutson's store, just for starters. All of those webstores can be found on my sidebar.
I hope the pictures helped. It really is an easy thing to do.

3 comments:

Lisa Kind said...

Great tutorial, Tracy! Love this! I may just make one! TFS!

KymKreates said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I am definately going to make one

Mendi M said...

Thank you so much! I am such a visual learner that I really needed to see this. I love the idea. I think they will make great Mother's Day presents!