Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wheels--Mitered Corners

Today I want to share a fun way to use your wheels...to make mitered corners. I am choosing to make an actual frame but you can also do this without the center cut out. I started with my riding hood red panel cut 5 3/8" by 4 1/8" and cut the frame to be 1" all the way around. I am using the regular sized wheel, Bella's Borders, for my sample.
Step 1

use post it notes to mask off your corners going from outside corner to inside corner. Use the Wheel guide to ensure you are getting a straight image, wheel the two shorter sides.
Here is what it will look like:

Step 2:

Mask off the opposite corners, wheel the long sides.
Here is your final look

Note: if your wheel doesn't have symmetrical edges, be mindful that you are wheeling each edge in the same manner. I always had the left side of my wheel closest to the inside part of the frame.
Here is my final card

I made an impressionistic like painting of the image from Upsy Daisy by stamping it onto watercolor paper and going over it with an aquapainter and more ink. I also added so saffon around the flowers. When I was all done I wiped the wet brush over the whole image once last time. The frame is mounted up on dimensionals for depth. The birdie is a Sizzlit die from the SU mini catalog.
I like how soothing it turned out.
I hope you will give this a try, it isn't hard, I promise!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a great technique I've never seen before! Thanks for inspiring me to use my wheels more! :)

Crystal (SCS happy2stamp4ever)

Stampin_Melissa said...

Tracy, what a great project! Looks too good to be handmade! It would make a wonderful gift!

Gail S. said...

That is too cool! I never thought about doing that....thanks.

Jody Morrow said...

Very cool!

I love the project! Pretty!

Lisa Kind said...

Oh, how very clever this is! TFS!

Regina said...

This is so great! Thanks for sharing!

Sue from Oregon said...

oh goodness! This is great!

diane zechman said...

very pretty card Tracy!

Juanita said...

This is a fantastic little tutorial, thanks for sharing with us

jeany said...

Wow what abrilliant tutorial,i would never thought of using my wheels like that !!!!!
Thanks so much for sharing :):)

Jean

Unknown said...

This is truly beautiful! I wasn't too into Upsy Daisy, but this.... may have just sold me the set! Beautiful!