Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mini Magazine RECIPE Holder

I am back with another idea for this great mini magazine holder. How about a recipe card holder?? How about a holiday themed recipe holder? This version could hold 3x5 index cards or a bit larger. The depth of this one is just a hair smaller than 3 1/2". My final recipe cards measure 3 1/4" by 5 1/8". Isn't it cute?? I am so excited about the possibilities of this size too! Just think of all the things you could put onto an index card...memory verses, chore cards for the kids, pictures, perpetual calendar pages for keeping track of birthdays (boy do I NEED one of those, I was late with a birthday and an anniversary this week, sheesh!!), and more. If you think of more, leave me a comment, please. Smaller note cards would also fit these.
The dimensions you need for this version are:
Start with card stock that measures 10 1/2" by 8".
Score 8" side at 3 1/4" and 4 3/4".
Score 10 1/2" side at 2" and 5 1/2".
My holder is made with Sahara Sand card stock and the sides are covered with SU's retired holiday DP, Dashing. (my new holiday paper is en route). The label on the side is made with a stamp from Paper Trey's Holiday Label set. I tried out my new Spellbinders die for the snowflake that is behind the sentiment. For all you SU only's out there, there is a Sizzix snowflake die available from SU that would fit the bill. It all sits on some wide red grosgrain ribbon. Here is a close up of the side label.
I made a dozen recipe cards to go inside and there is room for lots more! I used SU's, From the Kitchen, set for the cards and since I did not know what recipes I would be using exactly, I went with the "from the kitchen of" stamp. To keep the color scheme going, I used vanilla, real red and Sahara sand card stock. A few slivers of left-over Dashing DP line the bottoms. I have lots of holiday recipes that I plan to put onto these cards.
For those visual readers out there, I thought I would show you a photo of the 3 mini mag holders side by side. The unfinished one is the original sized holder from Becky's template. Kinda a baby bear, mama bear and papa bear thing going on here, lol!
This is not one of my holiday recipes but in the theme of food/recipes I wanted to share one of my favorite fall things. This recipe is actually from my friend Elissa and when ever she would bring it to a gathering I would hover over it until I was sick.
I don't even know it's official name, I just call it Peanut Apple Dip. It's easy peasy to put together.

1 8oz brick cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped peanuts

Mix it all together and serve with sliced apples. Yummo!
We are in the middle of apple season at the moment and our absolute favorite are Honey Crisp apples. We aren't the only ones who love them and since they are a new variety you pay more for them. Soooo worth it though.

So, now it is your turn to come up with mini mag ideas. Keep the sharing going and be sure to let me know if you post something.

6 comments:

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Love this one too! REcipe cards and post it notes are my weeknesses...I have them all over the house. Love this idea! The dip sounds awesome too, especially given that our apple tree is about to yield 20 bushels! Thanks!

Gail S. said...

Soooooo cute!! I am definately going to try this! Thank you and thanks also for the recipe!! I am going to try that also.

Discount Cards said...

I love to see this nice looking magazine recipe. I definitely work on this ad try this one for my next project.

Plastic Card said...

Wow its so pretty and delicious. I just wanna eat these apples..:)

Zafran ali said...

Awesome!!!
gift pakistan.

Joseph said...

We can put wedding card and bulk of card in this card holder.
Gift Card printing
Scratch Cards
Printed Gift Cards