Monday, June 08, 2009

Box 'O Animal Crackers Tutorial

Go grab a cuppa and enjoy the tutorial I have for you today. Although I originally created the box for animal crackers, it has loads of possibilities! Here is the original box I posted a couple of days ago...

For today's tutorial, I created a girlie version using Archway's Frosted Animal Crackers. It is paired with SU's Pink Flamingo DSP and tempting turquoise card stock.
Here are the supplies you will need:
1 piece of 8.5 x 11 card stock
2 coordinating designer papers (uses less than 1/2 sheet)
Scoring blade or Scor Pal
Crop-o-Dile
2 jumbo eyelets
1 jumbo brad
1/2" circle punch
Coluzzle
ribbon
Sticky Tape

Cut the card stock for your box to 8" by 11"
Score the 11" side at 3", 5", 8" and 10"

Score 8" side at 1 1/2" and 6 1/2"
Cut away the sections marked with an X
Cut along the white score lines as shown below

Cut 2 pieces of designer paper to 4 7/8" by 2 7/8", these will go on the front and back, adhere to box as shown. If your DP has a definite top and bottom be mindful that you don't adhere the paper upside down!

Using a Coluzzle or other cutting tool, cut an oval out of the front panel, keeping towards the bottom edge so when the flap is closed your oval is still centered properly.
Adhere a piece of acetate to the inside of the front flap for your window

This is what your panel will look like after cutting out the oval. Optional: use the cut out shape as a tag for your box.

Adhere Scor Tape or sticky strip as shown, assemble your box

Use a coordinating piece of designer paper to cover the top, flap and sides:
top piece: 1 7/8" by 4 7/8"
2 side pieces: 2 7/8" by 1 7/8"
front flap: 4 7/8" by 7/8"
Adhere pieces onto your box

Mark the center point of the front flap (2 1/2")
Use the 1/2" circle punch to punch out a half circle

For the ribbon handle, set the largest hole punch on your Crop o Dile to 1/2" depth.
Punch a hole in both sides, set with a jumbo eyelet

Close the front flap and mark the center point of the cut out circle, punch out with a 1/8" hand held punch, insert a jumbo brad. The flap will fit snuggly behind the brad when closed.

Cut a 14" length of ribbon for the handle, insert the ends into the eyelet holes and tie off inside the box. If you are using wide grosgrain it will only need to be tied off once. If you are using a narrower ribbon you will have to do a double knot to keep it from pulling through. Add a tag if you would like.

I filled a small cello bag with crackers for my contents.
With a minimal list of supplies you can create a fun box that can be used in many different ways. I hope you will give it a try. If you post one, let me know, I would like to see it!
Have a great day.

35 comments:

Cheryl said...

How cute are these little boxes and how great are you to do a tutorial?! Pretty great! Thanks for the inspirations, Tracy!

Shari Taylor said...

Oh my gosh. These are adorable!! I am going to use this for my classes. You are very creative.

Starla said...

OHHHHH thank you!! I can't wait to try this!!

Kay Kalthoff said...

This is darling!! Here is my version:
http://stampingtoshare.blogspot.com/2009/06/68-animal-cracker-box-for-jelly-beans.html

Thanks so much, Tracy, for the excellent tutorial!
Kay

Diana said...

SUPER DUPER AWESOME IN THE TOTAL EXTREME!

Twila said...

This is so cute. Thanks for the tutorial! Can't wait to make one.

LeAnne said...

Sweet! I got your link from Kay--these is just the cutest!

Donna Coffman said...

I loved your tutorial, video tutorials are good to , but nothing beats looking at it on paper, it's like a book and a movie, they are both great, but there is something about the words and pictures in print that make it so much easier for me,
Thank you for your generosity and talent. I am constantly amazed by the kindess of strangers.
Donna C.

ChristineCreations said...

Fabulous creations Tracy! And what a great tutorial too!

Julia Aston said...

This is just adorable Tracy! thanks for the wonderful tutorial - I'll be making some of these for sure - I'll be sure to give you credit for the design!

Jennifer Reynard said...

This is just brilliant.
your directions are incredibly well done. I am so excited that I want to clean off my Dining Room table (no easy feat!!LOL) and start making one. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome project and tutorial.
As I said, just brilliant!
Jennifer, Calgary, Alberta

Anonymous said...

What an incredible post and easy to follow instructions, Tracy. I gotta give this a try when things slow down a little. I love the jumbo brad fastener, how very clever. And, since I have never been able to work this google blogger except by being anonymous, it me, mitchygitchy!!

Elizabeth *^..^* said...

Fabulous tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing your talent and taking the time to create this tutorial. I know how much work they are. I created a sweet box of candies with the help of your tutorial. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Jeni C Slack (^0^) said...

Love your tutorial!! I found you through Elizabeth. When you get a chance please take a look at
Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge on Tuesdays I will try to make a box like yours and let you know how it turns out. You are very creative, I hope to see what you do for the Sketch weekly. And not to mention the up to $500 prize! Come play with us. Best, ~Jeni MMDT Member

VIV SAWYER said...

i love these boxes. so nice of you to post a tutorial for all of us to share. i will definitely try these.

Donna said...

Adorable...thanks for the instructions..I can't wait to try this.

Mary Davis said...

Just found your little boxes and are making them as I type. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Love these for my little grand nieces. They love little purses of any type.

Kari said...

Oh wow - these are PERFECT - I'm taking my boys to Disneyland Sunday for a week, and I'm going to give them a little 'plane gift' - this is going into that stash for sure! THANKS for the idea!!!

Me Myself and I-N-K said...

Hi Tracy: I had fun making your little box. Here is my version: http://stampingmutt.blogspot.com/2009/07/angels-landing-dt-featured-project-gift.html.

Thanks for such a detailed tutorial. It was very easy to follow. I'll probably be making more in the future.

Have a Happy July 4th weekend!

Alma =)

txbluiz said...

this is so stinkin' cute!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your talent!!!

angela b said...

Thanks so much for sharing. Your directions are awesome. I will have to post my creation soon. Great class idea.

Melinda Christensen said...

Hi there, loved this and just got around to making one & posting on my blog. As someone who bakes a lot of cookies for people these are going to come in real handy!

Keryn Campbell said...

What a fantastically easy to follow tutorial. Will try and make one this evening when the boys are all out.

Rebecca Ednie said...

Thanks for posting such a helpful and cute tutorial

Alex said...

WOW: Thank you so much for this clear tutorial. I've just made one of these boxes and I'm really chuffed with my first attempt.

Thanks for sharing.

Alex from England x

Beth M said...

Love this tutorial! Your versions are so cute that I had to make one too. Here's mine -
http://nevertoooldtocolor.blogspot.com/2009/09/robot-parts.html

Anonymous said...

This is just adorable! Thanks so much for sharing your gifts and talents!

Dawn

Moni said...

This is so beautiful.

Many thanks.

Moni from Germany :o)

Aimee said...

Awesome...I love taking apart boxes to create a template. Wonderful job!

Min said...

What a fabulous little box! I found you through Jackie's ABC post on her blog today! I can't wait to put these together for the little kids in the family for Easter! Thanks so much for the great inspiration and tutorial!!
Hugs & Happy Days!
Min

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! What a cute project! Thank you!
MelanieK

Janie Printz said...

It's so nice to see a wonderful project like this withan esy to understand tutorial. Thanks for sharing & I'm off to try one ...
Just adorable ...
Hugs, Janie

Anonymous said...

Hello Tracy!

I was looking for a template on an animal cracker box and found your website. Thank you for sharing your awesome tutorial! I've already tried it; but instead of using a score pal, I used my computer, printer & cricut expression.;D I'm using these boxes as favors for my son's 1st birthday party.;D Since, I have no clue how to post images on here, please feel free to stop by my blog to see my version of your box.;)

iPhone Developer said...

Thank you for sharing your awesome tutorial! I've already tried it; but instead of using a score pal, I used my computer, printer & cricut expression.;D I'm using these boxes as favors for my son's 1st birthday party.

iPhone Developers said...

It is indeed wonderful to read your article. I appreciate your style.