Saturday, June 06, 2009

Let's Talk Animal Crackers!

Oops, I fell off the blog wagon for a few days. We decided at the last minute to do a garage sale, so suddenly all of our spare time was consumed with preparing for that. I really do not enjoy any part of holding a garage sale. Well, that isn't exactly true, I like the money at the end and that my household clutter is lightened. It wasn't the best timing since my package of new SU goodies was sitting there taunting me while I worked.
By now you have probably seen the new colors, but if not...

Aren't they beautiful? Definitely a departure from last year's colors, they are deep and rich.
And did you catch the markers?? I am so thrilled they have decided to come out with markers! Thank you Stampin' Up! I have not had time to play with the new colors yet, but I will soon.

I do have a fun project to share with you though. My boys and I were munching on some mini animal crackers we get from a Mennonite market and I was totally inspired to make my own box of animal crackers. Do you remember those wonderful boxes of Nabisco Barnum Animal Crackers?? Just like these? As a kid it was such a treat when my mom let me get a box when we went grocery shopping. Ahhh, the memories, lol. Here is my version...

Isn't it cute? It turned out exactly how I pictured it in my mind. The designer paper is part of a new SU pack coming out in July called Tall Tales and it matches the new set coming out, Animal Stories. The box uses 1 sheet of card stock and is a good size to hold lots of goodies. I am working on a tutorial that I will share soon. Here is a view of the side with the tag I made from the cut out from the front.

Supplies: Animal Stories, old olive ink, very vanilla and chocolate chip cardstock, Tall Tales DP, jumbo eyelets, wide chocolate grosgrain ribbon, acetate, Coluzzle, googlie eye, linen thread, 5/8" jumbo brad, Crop o Dile, small cello bag dimensionals.

Here is a bit of Nabisco animal cracker trivia for you:
--there are 19 different shaped animals (2 bears, a bison, a camel, a cougar, an elephant, a giraffe, a gorilla, a hippo, a hyena, a kangaroo, a koala bear, a lion, a monkey, a rhinoceros, a seal, a sheep, a tiger and a zebra)
--the crackers debuted in 1902
--there have been 53 different animals since it started
--the koala bear was voted into the mix to celebrate the 100 year anniversary in 2002
--40 million boxes of Barnum's crackers are sold annually
--the string on the box was so they could be hung from the Christmas tree like ornaments
--April 18th is National Animal Cracker Day

I hope you enjoyed this animal cracker post! Thanks for visiting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The box is gorgeous! So cute with the little animals!!

Starla said...

I love your little box (and can't wait for the tutorial!)
Fun facts about animal crackers...they were a special treat for us too when we went shopping

Connie Collins said...

Absolutely darling! Love it!