Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Let's Talk Magnets...

I love to make jewelry and magnets from microscope slides and dominoes. Finding stamps to fit such small places is often the most challenging part. Anna's new stamp set, Posies for You, has the perfect size flowers for the task.

Let's start with the domino ones. Sealing is important when doing projects like this and I often use Crystal Effects for that. The problem I found is that it will often cause my image underneath to run. What a bummer after you spent so much time on it!! There are a few solutions to that particular problem; A) spray a fixative over it first, B)use a medium that doesn't run for your coloring or C) use the CE as your paint. Huh?? I tint small amounts of CE with reinkers and then paint my images with it. A scrap piece of acetate is perfect as a palette. It is important to let each color dry before continuing or they will run together. The nice part about this method is that it colors and seals at the same time. Look at this domino I did last year. I used cool caribbean ink to tint my CE for the sky. I used the same cool caribbean this time but you know what?? Yellow and blue make more of a green! Can you guess the difference?? I ran out of my white dominoes and had to use ivory ones. It really changed my colors. I still like the end result but I know the difference and the look I wanted. Notice the little dragonfly on the center one? It was a brad that I cut the back off of and set into the CE before it dried. To finish off the dominoes I used a silver Krylon leafing pen around all the edges, that gives it a nice finished look. The magnets on the back are round ones that I glued on with E-6000 glue. They will brighten up someones fridge!

The other magnet is one I made to send to Anna and she was kind enough to email me a photo of it since I forgot to take one before sending it out. This one uses Memory Glass that is 2" square. This gives you more options for your image and I chose to watercolor it onto watercolor paper. When you are done, you sandwich it in between 2 layers of the glass and use foil tape to seal the edges. I used copper foil which over time will get that nice aged patina. I glued the round magnet on the back with E-6000 glue like before. When searching for images to fit the glass, use your glass as your guide. I will often use it in the SU catalog, placing it over various images to see what it would look like. These can also be made into necklaces. Oh the possibilities!
Have a great day!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

So cute & pretty.

Broni said...

Such beautiful projects, Tracy! So very cool!!!

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

Oh WOW!! I'm IMPRESSED!!!
Have you seen the book "Pretty Little Things"? It's about making little collage jewelry, keepsakes and trinkets. You might like it! =) -Anna.

DeniseLynn said...

Love them all. I adore making domino magnets and every time I make a set as a gift for someone it seems I get such a great response. I love that - an easy thing that gets all the raves! You did such a great job. Thanks for sharing your art and inspiring me to get out the dominos and play a while. Hmmmm ... some tiny little hearts ... and someone might just get an extra Valentine treat this year. Hee Hee!!