Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gel Cards

Gel cards have long been on my list of things to try and Nicole Heady made a fantastic gel pocket card that finally pushed me over the edge. You can view hers here.
What a fun card to make!! For host club we made the one on the left which uses last years SAB set, Very Punny. There are some current sets in the SU catalog that would be great for this, like Life's a Breeze and the Something Fishy wheel. On the actual pocket card we used the See You Around jumbo wheel which looks like bubbles. I had a couple of extra pieces left over so I made up 2 more cards. The penguin is by Memory Box, I bought it in honor of my husband who plays guitar. Those cards have a scallop border over the window. I just love how the gel makes it really look like water, it invites you to touch it, squish it, play with it. My friend Sue suggested using a bit of blue ink to color the gel, how cool would that be??
This card was pretty simple and will draw lots of comments. I encourage you to try one soon! What other kinds of things could you put as your image in the window?? Can anyone tell me if they have ever successfully mailed a gel card? I figure it will be a hand delivery or go into a package.
stamps: SU Very Punny, It's Your Birthday, See You Around wheel, Memory Box Penguin, Amuse Oval
paper: soft sky, very vanilla, pumpkin pie
ink: soft sky, black, pumpkin pie, creamy caramel, close to cocoa
other: 1 3/8" circle punch, scallop punch, word window punch, hair gel, zip lock bag, sticky tape, ribbon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These cards are so cute! I love the colours and the scallop punch :) TFS Rachel

~amy~ said...

Soooo very sweet...the design, the colors and the images you used!

Lisa Kind said...

I did one also with a kids' class and it went over real big! I went to the dollar store to buy gel, but they only had colored gel, which I didn't want. As I was walking by, I saw a bottle of hand sanitizer with bubbles in it and it worked like a gem! I never took a pic of that card, and haven't seen it in a while...I'll have to look for it and post it. Great cards, btw!

diane zechman said...

I never even gave mine away- how pathetic is that? LOL. But...I planned to hand deliver.