Well, today is the big day! The kiddos go back to school. We have had a good summer break but come September I am ready for them to go back to school and for the family to return to some semblance of a routine.
In honor of back to school, I thought I would share a fun project you can do with a composition notebook. No, this isn't the usual idea so keep reading. I can't take credit for the original idea, my friend, Lynn, shared something similar with me last month.
Now is the time to stock up on these composition notebooks since they are pretty cheap. Take them to your local office supply store and ask them to cut then in half for you, creating 2 smaller books. They should be able to cut 2-3 at a time. I found some grid paper composition books at Staples that could be oriented with the binding on the top or the left, offering you even more options. The smaller, rectangular cover has endless possibilities, here are 2 I made this week.
Book one I covered with Kiwi Kiss card stock and the new Urban Garden paper. The main image is from the new set, Upsy Daisy, and is stamped with Not Quite Navy ink onto the new Bali Breeze paper. The edges were sponged before layering it with NQN. Add some piercing, a sentiment, some ribbon and a button...voila, a beautiful notebook!
Book two took a bit more time but I like the result. I covered the front/back with the new Bella Rose paper and covered the binding on this one with black velveteen paper. The velveteen adds a wonderful dimension of class and elegance. Use sticky tape only on the edges of the velveteen paper, leaving the binding free to move when you use the book. I used a couple of stamps from the Frames with a Flourish set to create the kiwi/vanilla frame. Then I stamped the "Journey" sentiment from the Define Your Life set in the center of the frame. The definition seemed appropriate for a book that could be a journal of some kind. I added lots of flowers from the hostess set, Happiness Always. They were inked in coral cameo and the edges sponged with riding hood red before stamping. Some of the flowers are up on dimensionals, some are not. I added a closure to this one using a plain, black hairband, a black brad and a jumbo eyelet. See the picture below for how the hairband attaches with the jumbo eyelet in the back. I used a medium size black brad on the front but be sure to leave room for the band to slip underneath it.
I cover the backs as well as the insides when I do books of this kind, it gives it a much nicer final look, especially if you intend to give it as a gift. A matching, plain card stock will do nicely. You could take it a step further by creating a pocket inside that could hold notes, stamps, ect.
I hope you enjoy this idea and will give it a try!