Saturday, December 20, 2008

Very Merry

Happy Saturday to you!! Up here in Upstate NY, we are getting buried in snow. The kids had a snow day yesterday and we did not venture out all day. Well, they did to play but I stayed inside and baked and wrapped gifts. I also had a bit of time to do this months Dirty Dozen challenge. I hadn't planned on playing along since I have had no time or desire to stamp this week but I had a short burst of energy.
Jamie gave us this challenge:

This month it was A Christmas/Hanukah/or Winter Card inspired by a childhood holiday memory or favorite thing about the season. Tell us about the memory or inspiration in your gallery description
Required Element: Wrapping paper. Use a piece of holiday wrapping paper on your card in some way.
Restricted Element: No snowflake stamps, papers or embellishments.


This card is totally inspired by my fondest childhood memories of Christmas...gifts, lol!! Actually, it was more about a mystery. I spent 6+ years growing up in Germany, from the ages of 6 to 13. My Dad was in the Air Force, stationed in Weisbaden. We lived off base in a 3 unit apartment building. Each apartment was a whole floor and we lived in the second story one, complete with balcony. Since my mother was German, and we were living there, we followed the German tradition of opening gifts on Christmas Eve. But first we had to go to church. When we left for church, there were no gifts under our tree and it was very important for us to get out of there so Santa could visit. On our way home we would look to the sky for Santa's sleigh, and of course we would see some red light that just HAD to be it! Oh, I can still remember the excitement of it all!! The car wouldn't even be in park and I would be racing up the stairs. It never failed, our tree had a pile of gifts under it when we returned. Since the WHOLE family was at church, it had to be Santa! (of course we found out years later it was our downstairs neighbors!) We would open all of our gifts until late in the night, it was wonderful.

So here you have it...a "gift" card. I wrapped a piece of cardstock with this fun wrapping paper and ribbon. The main image is a portion of a stamp from SU's retired, Crazy for Christmas, set. I used Copics and a silver pen to color it in. The sentiment is from the Short and Sweet set and the background is a CHF backgrounder.

Now that I look at it, it needs to have a gift card inside when I give it. I will do just that!

Check out the other creations here. They will be uploading throughout the day.
Thanks for visiting!

No comments: