Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Family Affair

I have shared before how my in-laws are the best. They are one of God's special gifts to me. When we held the WNY SCS Spring Fest a few weeks ago, I found myself spread a bit too thin so I asked my MIL if she would come to help me for the day. Although she does stamp on occasion, she had not signed up to participate in the event. I think all the requirements intimidated her. But she loves to support me so she came to run the registration table and do anything else that needed doing. At the last minute we had 2 cancellations so I asked her if she would like to sit at a shoe box table if I prepped a project for her. Sure! So at 10:30 the night before we hit the studio. Thankfully, several friends were staying at my house so we put our heads together and in 20 minutes had a card designed and prepped! Oh if only all cards would come together like that. It helped that I had pieces of previous projects on my counter for inspiration. Here is what we came up with...

Part of it may look familiar. The stamp is by RubberNecker and we added some purple Flower Soft to a couple of the flowers. The ladies at the table loved the project and my MIL enjoyed crafting with them. SCORE!!!

Supplies: SU cardstock-kraft, elegant eggplant, very vanilla, more mustard; SU Markers- more mustard, always artichoke, ruby red, chocolate chip, elegant eggplant; SU kraft taffeta ribbon; stamp by RubberNecker; Flower Soft; EK Success scallop edger punch; dimensionals; Cuttlebug Floral embossing folder.

My FIL is a wood worker and an excellent one at that! I asked him if he would make an ink pad holder for me to raffle off as a prize at the event. I showed him what I wanted and requested that it hold 48 SU sized ink pads, markers and ink refills. I expected a holder made of pine, nothing fancy, but I knew he would do a nice job. What he crafted was a holder made of oak, stained and expertly done! It was a thing of beauty! Check this out...

He also made one for me and a 24 unit one for my MIL. He spent so many hours drilling holes that he hurt his back! He was happy to make it for me but when they were done, he said he was done, lol! He doesn't intend to ever make another, much to the dismay of many ladies at the event! We raffled off several great prizes but this one was the most coveted! The winner was so excited and I know it has found a good home. Maybe next year I will ask for a ribbon holder, lol!

I noticed that I have many new folks following my blog lately. Welcome and thank you for visiting! I am working on some blog candy to give away...stay tuned.

3 comments:

Lisa Kind said...

Love this card and that image! Great job for only 20 minutes planning time! Great talent at your house, so it's no wonder it only took 20 minutes! Ask FIL if he'll make an exception on the ink holder for me! LOL!

Anonymous said...

You do have a very special husband and a very talented one, too! He deserves a nice long soak and a back rub for at least a week! The ink pad holder, etc was beautiful! Very nice job Husband!!
The card was good too, especially for such a short notice.

Linda H
Sacramento, CA

Steph said...

Wow, I love that holder. It's just what I need. I bet he could make good money if he was willing to sell those.