Thursday, September 17, 2009

School Rules!

This week my nephew started school, Pre-K to be exact. In the life of a 4 year old it is a big deal and I am sure it is for my brother and his wife as well since he is their oldest. I wanted to get a card out so it would arrive on his first day but {{sigh}}.....it didn't happen. This has been one insanely busy and crazy week. It has gone postal and should arrive by tomorrow. Maybe they will see it as a celebration card for the end of the first week, lol.
My brother is HUGE into fishing so a fish themed card seemed perfect, especially paired up with some bright primary colors.

Four year olds don't have much appreciation for hand stamped cards but I think this one has enough to capture his attention for a second or two, lol! The paper is Cosmo Cricket that I got from Taylor's store. The stamp is the retired SU set, Fishy Friends. The foam letters are Thickers.
For the coloring, I tried something different with my Copic markers. I used 2-3 markers in different shades of the same color and simply put down my tip to create dots. I started with the lightest shade first, putting down the heaviest amount of color. The darkest shades have the least amount of dots. It adds a lot of depth to the image and I was quite pleased with the results. Here is a close up of the fish...

If you are not that confident in your shading and blending abilities with Copics, this may be something for you to try. Plus is was totally fun to dot away!
Gotta run, I am now officially late to work {{sigh}}.

6 comments:

stampqueen said...

Fishy Van Gogh - great job, love the colors!!!

itsallrosi said...

this is really cute and a neat coloring technique.

love the new avatar!

Diana said...

OMG! I totally love this. What a fun way to color and shade That's so fun - I can't wait to try it!

ChristineCreations said...

This is so fun Tracy! I love pointallism with copics, it has such a cool effect. He's sure to think its COOL too :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Tracy! Ethan loved the card. He is always excited to get stuff in the mail.
Melissa

Rachel said...

Fun way to color!! Thanks for sharing your creativity!