Monday, January 31, 2011

Menu Monday: Quickie Pork & Vegetable Lo Mein

I can't promise a recipe card every Monday but I am thinking of making it more of a regular feature. It will keep me on task with my cookbook.

We are one week into using the e-Mealz plan. To be fair, we didn't plan on using all 7 meals. Partly because we often have left overs and partly because we have some other things in the freezer to use up. At dinner one night we read through the menu provided by e-Mealz and chose 5 of the 7 dinners. The shopping list they provide makes it easy at the store. That part I really liked. I shopped at Walmart for the ingredients so my bill was very reasonable and I felt great knowing I had a meal plan ready to go for the week ahead.

On Saturday I started to prepare the Pork Lo Mein recipe provided and found that I had used up the red pepper I needed and due to time, I could not cook the recipe as directed. (note to self: read the recipe all the way through ahead of time!!) I quickly made some adjustments and created a great dinner. It was easier than the recipe provided and filled with more veggies. It was such a hit that I added it to my recipe files before the night was done. Since it is quite a bit different than the e-Mealz version, I don't have any issue sharing it with you.

First, let me show you the end product...


Aldi's sells a great bag of frozen Oriental veggies, I don't remember the exact price but I like to keep a couple of bags on hand for quick meals. It worked great in this recipe. I used the Teriyaki sauce from the bottle instead of the packet that came in the bag. Beware though, this makes a big batch. The left overs will be great lunches this week at work.

And here is the recipe card. Click on the photo for a closer view.

I used some Graphic 45 DP along the side and for the accent at the top I used a Cuttlebug embossing folder. I added a bit of VersaMagic ink on the folder before embossing a scrap of vanilla card stock. Then I punched it out with a circle punch. It makes it much easier to see than just using the embossed piece plain. Here is a pic of the folder I used, the lantern on my project is in the lower right corner.

I am trying something new this time. I have made my recipe into a PDF file that you can download. It prints up 4 to a page, just an FYI. Click below for the PDF...


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Definitely will be trying this one! DH loves pork tenderloin! And the vegies make it healthy!
Thanks for the recipe and Ai am so impressed with your computer skills!!
(Love the recipe card too!)