Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Project Time

Hubby and oldest son have returned from Mississippi and with them, my camera. Hooray! They had a great week away; long days in the van and a productive time working on several homes. Here is a shot of one of the houses they worked on. This house was in the end stages so there was a lot of painting, hanging of doors, electrical, and general finish work to be done. The homes need to be a certain number of feet off the ground so the underside needed to be insulated and finished with plywood. Imagine working with your hands above your head all day long. My son was helping another team member with the insulation in this photo. I am so proud of my 12 year old son! He was a hard worker and such a trooper. In case you were wondering, he said the alligator tasted like chicken and the craw fish made him sick, lol! I give him huge points for even trying it.
I am so glad to have them back. Greg didn't stay long, he and Pastor Bill had a minister's conference to attend this week in Lancaster, PA, so they left early yesterday morning and won't return until late tomorrow night.
Last night was another class night and we worked on a fun project for Mother's Day. It would make a great gift for any occasion. The tote is one I designed last fall and did a tutorial on, which you can find here. We used a different handle treatment this time but the basic construction of the tote it the same. For this one, we started with some great earthy paper by SEI, it really lent itself to a garden type theme. The seed packet design on the front of the tote was printed onto card stock. It was a download I saved a couple of years ago and the blog it came from now seems to be password protected, sorry. We used a RubberNecker stamp on the seed packet panel. To keep the tote closed, we used some Basic Grey magnets. Those things are the bomb!
For the cards, we did a half OSW using a ghosting technique, except instead of Versamark ink, we used a pigment ink and then brayered kiwi kiss ink over top. Using the natural ivory card stock added to the earthy feel, I love the batik look we achieved! The half sheet was cut into 4 equal strips to add to our cards. All four cards used the same stamp, again by RubberNecker but we used a variety of sentiments from PaperTrey's Floral Frenzy set.
To change the set up a bit, we made a quick and simple notebook out of heavy weight rectangle coasters. The cover uses a coordinating piece of SEI paper. We stamped another sentiment from PTI and added the same stamp from the cards. To save on time, I had pre-cut the Nestie shapes before class. We filled the book with index cards and bound it with the Bind it All. This could be a notebook, journal, etc. I think my set will be a perfect end of year gift for my son's teacher.
Thanks for stopping by, I wish you a wonderful day!
PS--I keep forgetting...someone asked me about the sentiment stamp on the card I posted for Easter. All the stamps on that card came from the retired SU set, Glorious Gift.

3 comments:

ChristineCreations said...

Awesome pictures of the missions trip! OOOO aligator...yeesh!

And a great project too girl!

You must be up to your eyeballs in preparation for this weekend! Just wanted to stop by and say I was thinking of you, and I know it will go smashingly! :)

diane zechman said...

cute projects! I can't wait to hear your son tell about his trip.

Starla said...

OOOOO!! I like this whole idea....I think it is just the project I've been looking for for my next ws!! Thanks so much for sharing.
I'm impressed that your 12 y/o was willing to try some "new" foods...I don't think mine would have! LOL