Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Ornaments of Memories

We finally got our tree decorated last night. I love the memories that come to mind when we hang several of our ornaments. Each year we buy our boys an ornament that represents something about the year so the John Deer tractor reminds me of when my youngest was obsessed with all things tractors. Or the fish that represents the year my oldest caught his first big fish.

Eleven years ago, I started an ornament exchange with some of my girlfriends. When we moved to Ransomville, I thought it was the end of the party. But it had become such the anticipated event that one of my friends stepped up and offered her home if I would come back to host. This year I was officially just a guest, not a host, but I am so glad to know that the tradition continues. Some of the guests have changed over the years but there were 4 of us on Friday that have been there since the beginning. I look all year for just the right ornament. I know, you are asking "you don't make your ornament?" I thought it would give me away when we did our trading at the event. But honestly the handmade ones were always the most traded and treasured so this year I made mine.

This bird was totally inspired by an email I got from Jenni Bowlin (the company, not her personally, lol, but how cool would that have been?). There was this darling bird ornament that I just had to try my hand at.

The bird came from a pack I bought at Michael's last year and is some kind of pressed board. I painted it with some Weathered Wood Crackle paint and when it was dry I sponged on some distress inks and added some schtuff. I had to make a wing for it so I covered a coaster with paper and cut it out by hand. We have been seriously lacking sunlight so my photos are a bit on the dark side, sorry.
Here is the adorable ornament I came home with. Ironically, Cheryl got mine and I got hers. This cardinal is made from 2 bells, I love it!

Do your ornaments bring back memories? What is a favorite one?

Thanks for visiting, have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Julia Aston said...

I love your bird ornament with the crackled paint! So homespun looking! and your bell cardinal is so cute! what a fun gift to receive! My favorite ornament is an old ornate glass one that was my father's when he was a boy - Every season I put it on the tree and wonder that it has survived another year - it is so paper thin and fragile!

Lisa Kind said...

I bought a bunch of these wood pieces in different shapes...never thought to make an ornament! What a great idea and I love your adorable bird!

I have an ornament I made in 3rd grade for my parents that still hangs on my tree every year!