Saturday, September 20, 2008

Challenge Time

Happy Saturday! It's the 20th so that means it's time again for the monthly Dirty Dozen challenge. Jami gave us a hard one this time, at least I thought it put me to the test. Here are the rules for this month:
Challenge Focus-create a no layer card (can you hear all us gals shrieking, lol)
Required element: masking
Restricted element: no pink

Drum roll please.......
Here's my card. I do consider myself a pretty simple designer for the most part. I don't use a bunch of embellishments and I tend to like a clean and simple look. That said, no layers???? Ouch. Okay, so I put my big girl designer panties on and moved ahead. If I could only use one layer I had to make it good so I started off with a card base of shimmer white. I know the picture doesn't show it well, but the touch of shimmer really helps to kick this card up a notch. First I stamped the main image which is from Printworks. It is colored in with reinkers and a water brush. They make such fun images. Then I created a mask for each of the 3 panels using a Post-It note. When you create a mask and you want full coverage when you stamp over it, trim your images a tad smaller. I used Cornish Heritage Farms reverse polka dots backgrounder with kiwi kiss ink to create the look of pattern paper along bottom half. I still had to use a blender pen with kiwi kiss ink to fully get around the edges of the images but it still turned out okay. I very carefully used a hobby blade to cut slits to feed my ribbon through to create the illusion that it runs underneath. All the black dots that you see on the images are part of the stamp but I went over them with a black glaze pen for a bit more dimension. As my last touch I used a light gray marker to go around my main image to create shadows. When I showed it to hubby it took him a minute of running his fingers across it to believe it really had no layers. Mission accomplished!
I hope you will take a few minutes today to check out the other cards. I bet you will find lots of inspiration in this challenge! Check out the gallery here.

No comments: