Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Card Files

I have been busy creating a couple of card files to share with you. I have seen similar ideas out there but figured it was easy enough to create my own. I like having sets of things on hand in case I need a quick gift and these files with matching cards fit that bill very well. So, let's get started with the first one, a holiday set.

I used the new SU designer paper, Merry Moments as my starting off point. The colors and designs are all inspired by the paper. The box started with a piece of chocolate chip 10" by 12". I scored the 10" side at 2" and 8". The 12" side is scored at 6" and 8". Simply fold on the score lines, cut along the score lines to form the sides and tabs and adhere into a box. I did trim a triangular piece off the sides, this is optional. I cut pieces of designer paper and old olive to cover the front and sides of the box. I tied some of the new 1 1/4" wide striped chocolate grosgrain ribbon around the front panel before adhering it to the box. The sentiment is a portion of a stamp from the hostess level 3 set, The More the Merrier, tucked behind a piece of Vanilla Hodge Podge Hardware.
Here are the cards I made to go inside the file box. There are 2 of each design for a total of 6 cards and envies. I think there would be enough room in the box to do 8 cards total, it will be limited only by how much dimension you put on your cards.
I do not yet have the new SU snowflake punch so I used a Marvy punch I have, otherwise all the items on this project are SU. The sentiment on the cards is all the same, coming from the Teeny Tiny Wishes set.
When I was done, I wanted to make a set of notecards so I changed the dimensions of my box a bit. This time I started with a piece of sahara sand 8" by 11". The 8" side is scored at 1 1/2" and 6 1/2". The 11" side is scored at 6" and 7 1/2". The deepness of this box is only 1 1/2" compared to 2" on the holiday box.
I made a set of 8 notecards to fit into the box. I was finally able to locate this Inkadinkado set, Mindscapes, so all the cards use the ladybug from that set. I colored the image with a couple Copic markers and added Pitch Black Spica glitter pen to the dots on the wings. Ohhh, is that glitter pen nice! I don't know the make of the paper, sorry. The sentiment on the box is from a dollar set I had. This set is going in the mail to a friend!
These boxes are rather quick and easy to make, give it a try!
Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Kim L. said...

Very nice! Thanks for the measurements/instructions!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great boxes!
thanks for sharing all the info! you rock!
I enjoy your blog whenever I visit!

Lee

stampingwithlulu said...

I'm going to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing! Lovely job!

Alex said...

I loved a previous tutorial of yours and made it yesterday which I'm really pleased with. With this in mind, I can't wait to try out this one :)

Thanks so much for sharing the instructions, your Card File Box looks fab.

Have a good weekend. I have a little something on my blog for you.

Alex from England x